Monday, September 14, 2009

Who Decides What's for Me?

Today was another chill day. All I did to day was go to the beach with some friends from class and go to class afterwards. Here are some pictures from my day at the beach. . .
The beach that we went to was Malagueta, which is one of the closet beaches to us. I went to Malaga last summer for a weekend when I was here studying in Granada and one thing I remember was how dirty looking the beach was. And going to the beach today confirmed that it's like that all over. The view was absolutely beautiful, but the beach was full of shells, a few cigarette buds, and dog crap, that I almost stepped in! But hey make the best of what you have, I just relaxed on the beach and talked to my friends from class. I enjoy talking to them because I gain more of a world perspective of everything. The classmates I went with were: Sophie, from England, Miriam, Elisabeth, Caroline, from Germany, and Alex, Washington, US. Today I found out that in Germany, the 11th grade is not that important and if you are a good student you can miss it. Both Miram and Elisabeth both speak very good English because in there 11th grade year they studied in North America. I told them that was so cool and that we needed those same types of opportunities in the US for high school and not just college. As Sophie and I were talking I realized that we are very similar in the way that when we have our families. We both would like to raise our children multi-lingual, because there are so many opportunities for anything you could possibly want to do when you know different languages. Sophie said something so true about learning different languages, "I like to learn different languages because it's like figuring out a secret." I can totally understand that because even when my classmates speak in German, you wish you could speak the language just to know what they're saying. The same is when you go to the nail shop and you just know they are talking about everyone in there, but you can't validate it because you have no idea what their saying! : )
Seems like something interesting is happening everyday, today's interesting thing was from one of my conversations at the beach. We were all lying down and I was saying that my phone was out of commission because I updated my iphone and the jailbreak software hasn't be updated yet and Miriam was asking me did a lot of people have Iphones is the US and I said yeah, it's really common now. Then I was asked what kind of computer did I have, a Mac or a PC? I simply said a Mac, then Alex said of really that's strange, I replied, what's so strange about that, I don't like PC's so I got a Mac. The he said, oh, well it's not strange . . .it's just weird or odd; from here I knew where he was headed. So I kept asking what's so weird about me having a Mac and he just kept repeating himself, I knew what he wanted to say and kept asking to see if he was bold enough to say it. Because Mac's are expensive computers and I'm Black. I let the conversation go, but I couldn't help but think, Who decides what I am entitled to? My mom and God have provided the best for me all my life and since I've been on my own, I have done the same for myself. I am a child of God and anything I desire he supplies, just the fact of me being here could only come from his grace and the favor He has over my life. Everyday is a reminder of the world we live in and how close-minded so many people are. . . Never judge a book by its cover, get to know the pages first! I know that many stereotypes do exists but that's with every ethnicity and if I passed judgment on people based of that, I know I would not be as far in life as I am now! There's nothing more that I can say about that situation but to continue to get to know Alex, because when you get to know someone and their background, only then can you understand why they think the way they do.
Besides that, I enjoyed my time at the beach and the company that I was with. After that I went back to my dorm for a quick lunch before class and talked to my roommate about the beach and she told me that some of the best beaches to go to are Estepona and Cadiz. So of course they have been added to my Must See list. After lunch I went class and then tried to rush home after class to beat the rain.
All in all another great day in Malaga! Tomorrow will be the end to my first week here, but for some reason it feels as if I have been here longer. I guess because of the relationships that I am starting to develop or what I've done so far, I don't know but I am continuing to be enthusiastic and praying to God that everyday will continue to be better than the last!

1 comment:

intellectfish said...

Sounds like you're really starting to feel at home...yeah you'll get "looks" and comments for being black and NOT being African,poor...or a SINGER like ppl in Argentina assume...right after they say "Go Obama!" -tragic:-/ LOL! Nonetheless we're wise enough to take it all in stride. Keep smiling, and you'll feel the glow from the inside out!