Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Sitting in My Room

I finally arrived in Spain today and it is so surreal, after all this planning I'm here. I had a good flight from ATL to London Heathrow, but once I got there I did not know where to go to buy my connecting ticket to Gatwick airport. So I am going around asking for help and when finally get to where I need to go, I realize that my ticket has just been stolen. Talk about panic mode; my ticket was inside of my passport in the side pocket of my bookbag, but all I could do was say thank you Jesus that my passport was not stolen! Needless to say I had to pay 19.50 pounds to get from Heathrow to Gatwick, which was an 1 hr ride and arrived to the gate and was able to have my ticket reprinted.
On to Gatwick, I had a 6hr layover and was starving because I was not about to buy any of the over priced food in London (in terms of $). But I met a nice guy, Chris, on the plane that was from London; he and his friends were headed to Malaga for their annual Golf Getaway Week. He kept me company for the flight and allowed me to loosen up and not be so anxious about being here for a year and I appreciated it.
After we landed I picked up my 2 overweight and over sized duffle bags and headed to Teatinos (dorm), there I was greeted by my roommates and one of the managers Fernanda. And this is when I realized that I have my work cut out for me, they were speaking so fast and I could only catch every third word. But this is why I am here, to become fluent in Spanish and learn more about the culture. I really like my dorm room and the fact that I have my own room. It's a nice size and has pretty good closet space. All in all, I am finally in Malaga and Day 1 is about to begin.
So now, after 17hrs of travel I can finally say, My Journey Has Just Begun!

No comments: