Thursday, September 10, 2009

Name That Smell . . .

Today was a pretty chill day, all I did was walk around Teatinos, the part of Malaga that I live in, and go to class in the central area. There are two main campuses for the University of Malaga: El Ejido and Teatinos. Teatinos is going to be the campus that I will mainly be studying at while I am here, but for now I am taking a Spanish class for foreingners in the central area of town. There are a lot of foreigners from all parts of Europe here on an Erasmus scholarship, which is great for me because we all come from various language backgrounds and our only common language is Spanish. I am enjoying this challenge because it forces me to use Spanish at all times and not keep falling back on English when I don't know which word or a phrase to use.

Okay, one thing that is getting to me is this particular smell everywhere I go! The only idea I have is that it comes from the dogs. I don't understand why, but no one picks up after their animals and if they do I have yet to see one person do it. And the smell of crap fills certain back streets and even the main areas around town and you know it's bad when you can taste the smell in your mouth . . . eww.

Well something interesting is that I did get lost today, the bus I am suppose to take to get from the city to Teatinos is the 20 and I got on the 25 today. But I am happy that I did because the part of town I went to was nothing like the city and tourist areas. I learned that no matter where in the world you go, there are always going to be ghettos and homeless people. Although it was sad to see, it's a reality! Besides that, after I realized I got on the wrong bus when we reached the end of the line, I had to pay another fare to get back to campus and then walk about 10 min to my dorm. One thing that people kept telling back home is that I am going to gain a lot of weight while I'm here; however, as much as I walk I might actually lose wieght which I don't need to do, lol. But I enjoy walking because I can learn the back ways and explore the town, the only thing I dont like is that my feet are so dirty when I come home. OMG!!

Hopefully tomorrow I can upload some pictures of Malaga. I am going to attempt to get up early so I can go set-up a bank account and finish the last steps of my visa. After that I am going to go explore the city and try to find the way to the nearest beach. Tomorrow should be an intriguing day, I am anxious to find out how the process of opening a bank account will be and their caliber of customer service.

Furthermore, Day 2 is now complete and it seems as though each day will be better than the last!

1 comment:

TheUnique1 said...

I absolutely love this my dear. Glad to see that you are keeping an open mind and looking forward to the next day...love love love this blog baby, keep it up!!